I realize nearly every healthy living blog has an all-purpose cleaner recipe that harnesses vinegar's strengths, but I just cannot get over the smell! Let's face it, there is a funk in the air when you clean with vinegar. Instead, I choose vodka as the base for my all-purpose cleaner. Cheers!
Vodka is antiseptic, and it's nearly odorless, which makes it a perfect carrier for all your favorite essential oils! It is a fantastic all-purpose cleaner. I use it to deodorize clothing, upholstery, rugs, beds, and shoes. It kills bathroom mildew, removes sticky goo, cleans windows and mirrors, and shines chrome fixtures in a way that would make Martha Stewart proud! Did I mention it is a fantastic all-purpose cleaner?
Vodka cleans without the flammable fumes and skin irritation that can accompany isopropyl alcohol. Don't bother buying top-shelf vodka - the cheaper the better! Keep this in mind, 80-proof vodka is 40% alcohol by volume, with the other 60% being mostly water. That said, I choose not to dilute my vodka when I use it to clean.
**My boys love it when I make this recipe using Cinnamon and Orange essential oils. It smells amazing, and mama is happy because, when it comes to antibacterial activity, Cinnamon rocks! The variation in the recipe contains Grapefruit and Cypress. It smells like spring...such a happy smell.
- Read Pink Apothecary articles about essential oils: Cinnamon, Orange, Cypress, Grapefruit.
- Read about the In vitro antibacterial activity of cinnamon essential oil here.
- Ancient Apothecary is an essential oil brand I trust for singles: Cinnamon, Orange, and Grapefruit.
This recipe is a 1.7% dilution. Be creative! It's okay to deviate from the recipe - this is supposed to be fun!
- 16 oz Spray Bottle
- 15 oz Vodka (the cheapest you can find)
- Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Cypress Essential Oil
- Pour Vodka into your 16 oz Spray Bottle.
- Add 75 drops (approximately 3/4 tsp) Grapefruit Essential Oil.
- Add 75 drops (approximately 3/4 tsp) Cypress Essential Oil.
- Shake well and spray. I think this smells amazing. Bright, clean, and refreshing. The fragrance gets even better as it matures.