Dry brushing is simple and effective! It has many outstanding detoxification benefits. That said, it’s for reasons of vanity that you’ll want to make dry brushing a lifelong habit once you start, ladies!
4 Reasons To Start Dry Brushing
- Skin exfoliation – goodbye dull flaky skin.
- Increased lymph flow.
- Minimization of cellulite. Woot! Woot!
What Does Detoxification Mean?
Your heart pumps to move blood throughout your circulatory system. Unfortunately, your lymphatic system does not have a pump, and yet the flow of lymph is imperative to your health. Exercise is a great way to move lymph because it creates movement in the body and both gravity and muscles are then able to assist. Dry body brushing is another way to move stagnant lymph because it prompts cells to release toxic deposits into the lymph while simultaneously cleansing the lymph itself.
To get really technical, your blood plasma brings waste to lymph vessels where it is then carried to your lymph nodes. Within the lymph nodes, macrophages and lymphocytes bring the smackdown to unwanted bacteria and toxins. The cleansed fluid is then brought back into the blood supply. Amazingly, the human body contains more lymph than blood, and yet it doesn’t have its own pump to force circulation so it can get sluggish. What does sluggish lymph look like? Swollen lymph nodes are a sign that you have sluggish lymph, and cellulite is another indication. Cellulite is formed when stagnant, toxic waste gets stored between tissues causing a breakdown of connective tissue. Ewe!
Sold – How Do I Dry Brush?
Dry brushing requires the use of a natural bristle brush to gently brush the skin towards the heart. You should use light pressure with the brush, and then follow with the palm of the other hand in the same motion to soothe the skin; brush towards heart, opposite hand runs along the same path towards the heart to soothe, repeat. It is best done in the morning before your shower because it wakes and warms the body. While your body is still wet after your shower apply a generous amount of My Lady Lumps Detoxifying Body Oil to really give your cellulite a one-two punch! Repeat daily for best results! You can follow these simple steps when dry brushing:
- Begin with your toes, move up the foot in light, sweeping motions. Move in one direction. Follow the brush stroke with your opposite hand to soothe the skin. Do this several times, moving towards the popliteal lymphatic node behind the knee.
- Move up to the back of your thigh. Brush in long strokes towards the buttocks.
- Repeat on your other leg.
- Brush lightly on your stomach. Move from waist to navel on both sides, always ending at the naval. Then gently brush across your chest and around your breasts.
- Brush the front of your arms in long strokes moving towards the axillary lymphatic node. You’ll find this under your arm.
- Apply My Lady Lumps Detoxifying Body Oil while skin is still damp.
How To Choose The Right Brush
Look for hard bristles, not soft nylon. My preferences are cactus or vegetable-derived bristles. A firm bristle is necessary to stimulate lymph flow, and is a requirement for your brush to ensure effectiveness. I like this brush made by Yerba Prima. It’s high quality and CHEAP so you can replace it often! The dry brush sensation is scratchy and first, but you’ll grow to love it, and will begin to look forward to this part of your morning routine.
Can I Clean My Brush?
Yes – and you should! You can occasionally wash your brush with soap and water. I use a healthy spray to clean my brush daily. Here is a quick option:
- 1 oz vodka.
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil.
- Mix ingredients in a 1 oz spray bottle.
- Spray dry brush and air dry.
If you’d like additional essential oil blending options the click here.